History Homeschool Online – $15 per month subscription
This year our homeschool will be conducted online due to Covid-19.
Our homeschool enrichment curriculum includes history lessons, tours of farms, museums and other cool places, with a kid-friendly perspective. Each month will feature a youth “ambassador” who is featured in at least one video. Scroll down for a sample.
We will offer an interesting and unique homeschool enrichment program for your child(ren) using pre-recorded videos, worksheets, recipes and resources for you to use at home. Even if your child goes to regular school, this program is fun and interesting as enrichment the whole family can do together. We may offer an in-person family day on our site in Cottage Grove in Spring, if it is safe to do so. Our homeschool enrichment curriculum is designed to work well for boys and girls of varying ages (usually 6-10 years old) and will include an optional homework assignments each month.
The cost is $15 per child. We do not have a sibling discount at this time. Once you enroll, you will receive an email each month with the unique password for you to access the protected page on the back of our website. There you will find several videos, worksheets, and questions for journaling, as well as resources for further study. This private page will be available to you until the end of the school year in June. If you sign up in the middle of the program, you will receive access from the month of your enrollment until June.
Please contact our Director for questions about the homeschool program: email@example.com.
TEACHERS- Want this for your classroom?
A Look at the Homeschool Program
Guiding Principles: Sharing education and resources related to living in harmony with the earth, sustainability, and learning about historical ways, tools, and people. We feature Indigenous knowledge and voices in each month.
Two sample months are below.
Sample video lesson
Matt Hall- Al Kennedy High School Garden
Sign up below and join us each month for tons more videos, worksheets, homework, and more!
COOKING & GARDENING
Videos and more
- Tour of a local school garden, native plant nursery and pollinator hotel (see above.)
- How to churn butter at home- by Madilyn (age 11)
- Tour of a local granary and bakery- how is grain turned into flour?
- Tour of a local biodynamic farm- how to harvest apples and make cider, tour of a cool treehouse with Ivan (age 13), what does biodynamic mean?
- Wild edible plants walk, how to harvest sustainably, listening to the earth
- Native Connection: Video: First Salmon Ceremony with Grandma Aggie on the Rogue River.
Homework: Questions accompany the videos for you to work on at home. Test your knowledge! Also: Churn your own butter or grind your own grain at home.
Extra Credit: Made a video showing something you cooked or grew in a garden or in a pot. Post it on our SCEC facebook group or email to Karen.
OPAL WHITELEY : Spirit of Nature
Videos and more
- Discovering a Gem: On the Trail of Opal Whiteley. A fun video exploring Opal’s life and legacy, with Karen and Brook the History Dog.
- What are the insects doing in the Fall? How should you treat the small creatures you find? How to help the tiny creatures in your yard.
- How to make an inviting Fairy House- by one of our students
- Video Pioneer School lesson by Miss Tricia Powell, circa 1890
- Native Connection: What is Reciprocity? How to respect nature and give thanks when harvesting.
Homework: Get or make a quill pen or a metal caligraphy pen. What would you say to Opal if she were a friend of yours? Write a letter to Opal Whiteley. Dry it carefully and take a picture of it and send to us or post on our Facebook group.
Extra Credit: Use your journal and find a special “sit spot” in your yard or nearby safe natural place. Sit quietly and observe nature for awhile and record your observations in your journal. Write about what you see, hear, smell, taste and feel.
We expect that you will love our curriculum! If you find that it’s not for you, you may cancel your subscription through Paypal. As a non-profit organization our budget is very limited and we count on your registration in order to provide the highest quality programs. Thank you for your understanding.
Contact our Director for more information.